MOHAWK VALLEY
MAPS AND SKETCHES

If you, the viewer, should wish to study these maps and/or images in more detail, it is strongly recommended that you first download the map or image by right clicking somewhere on the image and then clicking on the "save target as" link. Once you have downloaded the map or image to your hard drive, you may use a image viewer such as "IRFANVIEW" (a very safe freeware program) to digitally zoom in on it with only minor distortion of details. One should also be aware that these maps images are, by intention, EXTREMELY LARGE so that you may study the minute details of each map after they opened with a graphics viewer. PLEASE BE PATIENT! They will load slowly!

One should also note that whenever possible, the map, as it is viewed on a screen, has been orientated so that the top of the map is pointing in a roughly north direction. Please note, however, that a majority of the maps display a Compass Needle upon them and a few display the Compass Rose. Thus it may be necessary for one to rotate the map in order to read some of the inscriptions upon it. Again, one would be wise to download these maps to their own storage device and to then view them with a good graphics display program.

As some of these maps are not in the "Public Domain", the author would appreciate it if you would contact him prior to reproducing them for any use other than your own research. Thank You!

A map produced circa 1790 by New York State General Surveyor Simeon De Witt, Esquire demonstrating the various land patents of the Lower Schoharie Valley and south-eastern Tryon County. This map is intended to assist in orientating the user of the patent maps listed on this web-site as to their approximate location in relation to the Mohawk River, the Schoharie Creek, and the Charlotte River.

A map produced between 1769 and 1784 found within the Map Collection of the New York State Secretary of State's Office (Map #H715b) demonstrating the various settled land patents & grants within the bounds of Tryon County. The map is in very good condition and encapsulated within mylar which causes the a sheen seen upon this digital scan. A copy of the entire map, which is too large to post on this site, is available from the author.

A A drawn map of the county of Albany B.L. Shelfmark K Top CXXI.9.2. estimated to have been drawn between 1762 as it shows the German Reformed Church at Canajoharie at its Sand Hill site just to the north of the modern Village of Fort Plain and 1765 as it does not demonstrate Johnson Hall in the modern City of Johnstown. The Sand Hill Church was licensed for construction in 1762 and Johnson Hall was constructed in 1765 per Sir William Johnson's Papers. The detail of the map stretches from Sheffield, Massachusetts in the south to Fort Ticonderago, New York in the north. In the east-west plane the map extends from Sheffield, Massachusetts in the east to the modern Village of Oriskany, New York in the west. An inlay in the upper left-hand corner demonstrates the area from the Village of Oriskany to the mouth of the Oswego River in the modern City of Oswego, New York. It is presented here with the written permission of the Board of the British Library.

A map of the Goldsbrow Banyar Patent. This map is found within "The Goldsbrow Banyar Papers," Collection #DU10723, Box 8 Volume 3, of the New York State Library's Manuscripts Collection in Albany, New York. This patent's northern border is formed by the Greater or Northern Portion of the New Durlough Patent, which was granted to Jacob Borst, Mathew Bowen, Goldsboro Banyar, William Spornheyer, Maria Margrieta Greslaer, and others. Its southern-western edge adjoins an unnamed tract & the William Ernest Spornheyer Patent, The eastern edge adjoins the Johannes Bleeker Patent. The southern edges adjoin the the unnamned tract & and the Lessor or Southern Portion of the Jacob Borst or New Durlough Patent. The West Kill forms the patent's western border. The map seems to show the names of the individuals to whom lot titles were transferred by Mister Banyar, but this remains unconfirmed. The map is in excellent good condition.

A map showing the lots of the various divisions of the Rutger Bleeker Patent. A map showing the layout of the lots within the 1732, 1739, and 1772 Divisions of the Otsquago and Rutger Bleeker Patents in the Town of Minden drawn for the author of The Bloodied Mohawk by Miss Marilyn J. Cramer of Silver Springs, Maryland.

The 1732 & 1742 Division of the "Otsquago Patent" which was granted to the Bleecker Family and others and the 'smaller' Rutger Bleeker Patent. This map shows the locations of Home Lots 2-9, Lowland Lots 1-10, the 20 'lower' Woodland Lots, and the five large Upper Woodland Lots [site of the lands of Adam Yong, [Solomon] Keller, &: Cont Mathias]. The 1772 Division of the Otsquago Patent (The First Allotment of the Rutger Bleeker Patent) Bleeker & the Rutger Bleeker Patent (The Second Allotment of the Rutger Bleeker Patent) in the Town of Minden taken from Map #527 in the "New York State Secretary of State's Maps Collection" in the Office of Land Management in Albany, New York. The map is significant as the small diamond within the square tract taken from the western portion of Expense Lot "A" demonstrates the most likely site of Fort Plank. The original map of the 1772 Division of the Ostquago and Bleecker Patents shows the locations of Home Lots One and Ten. The 1772 division is also the site of Expense Lot A   home of the "Church Lot" or Glebe, a sublot of Expense Lot A, site of the Reformed German Church of Canajoharie" & Fort Plank; A map of the five lots on Abeel's Island is also shown. In the 1772 Division of the Otsquago and Bleecker Patents an Expense Lot B was also created and it was subdivided into seven lots. The owners of the Expense Lot B Sublots coincide with the owners of Home Lots 2-7. Expense Lot B is the site of the modern day Red Mill of Fort Plain, the Mount Auban Cemetery or Fort Plain Cemetery Association Cemetery, the Lipe Family Burial Ground, the likely site of the Fourth New York Regiment's "Camp Near Fort Plank", & the Mills of John A. Lipe. All of the maps herein presented here, with exception of Map #527, are found in the "Papers Relating to the Ostquago Patent" found in Manuscript Collection #10816 in the New York State Library.

A 1998 Aerial Photograph of the westernmost portion of Expense Lot "A" of the Rutger Bleecker/Otsquago Patent demonstrating the possible site of the Fort Plank Redoubt. Found at http://msrmaps.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&Z=18&X=2648&Y=23773&W=1&qs=%7cfort+plain%7cnew+york".

A map of the John Bowen or Stone Heap Patent found with in the maps of New York's Surveyor General's Collection (New York State Archives Coillection #A4011-78) Office and is cataloged as Map #4 in Folder 1. A second map of the said patent demonstrating where the Schoharie/Montgomery County Line courses the patentis shown here. This second map is part of the New York State Surveyor General's Collection and is cataloged as Map #. The best available image is of the second map is being presented at this time as work is underway to obtain a better image. Finally, an 1811 map of Lot 14 of the John Bowen or Stone Heap Patent demonstrating a one acre tract laid out for a mill and as well as a fifty acre tract of the lot laid out to pay for the mill’s expenses. The map is found within Map Drawer 14 of the Montgomery County Clerk's Office and is cataloged as Montgomery County Clerk's Office Map #MCCO_003388.

This map of The Jacob Borst, Mathew Bowen, Barent Heironymus Keyser, et al Patent of February 21, 1752. The patent is also commonly referred to as The New Dorlach Patent. This map is found within "The Johannis Lawyer Papers," Collection #SC16480, Box 1 in the New York State Library in Albany. The Patent is bordered on the north by the Johannis Lawyer, Jacob Borst, et al Patent of 1761, and the Johannes Bleeker Junior Patent. On the east it is bordered by Johannes Bleeker Junior Patent. On the south it is bordered by the Goldsbrow Banyar Patent. It is bordered on the west by the West Kill, (which is the eastern border of the William Ernst Spornheyer Patent and the eastern border of a gore in the southern portion of the Johannis Lawyer, Jacob Borst, et al Patent of 1761.

A map showing the lots of the Arent Bradt - Phillip Livingston or Freysbush Patent. This map is #224 of the New York State Surveyor Comptroller's Map Collection Archives' Collection #B1610.

The Burnetsfield Patent. This map is found in the "Maps in the New York State Surveyor General's Office" and is currently housed in the New York State Archives in Collection #AO273, Map #181. The map is in good condition. [N.B. All of the maps in this collection are yellowed on their left hand sides from the effects of long-term storage prior to their arrival in the archives.

The Butlersbury Patent. This map is found within "The Maps of the Commissioners of Forfeitures" in the New York State Archives in Albany, New York Collection #AO273, Portfolio E - Map #893. The tract consists of four patents apparently arranged with Marian Scott's patent on the west; John Miln's Patent next to it on the east; Walter Butler's Patent on the eastern side of Miln's; and the Charles Williams' Patent which forms a gore to the east of Butler's Patent. The tract is adjoined on the south by the John Collins or Caughnawaga Patent; on the west by the Abraham Gouverneur Patent, though in many early histories it is referred to as the James Alexander Patent; on the north by Kingsborough; and, on the northeast by the Sacondago Patent. The was drawn by Jeremiah Van Renssealer, one of the Commissioner of Forfeitures for the Western District, from a survey performed by Isaac Vrooman in April of 1761. The map bears the autograph signature of Mister Van Rensselaer and is in relatively good condition. [N.B. The above mentioned Walter Butler is not the Captain Walter Butler, son of Colonel John Butler, who was killed on the West Canada in the fall of 1781 (KDJ)].

The Village of Canajoharie Taken from Cambells pla[t] By Philip Roof June 3d 1830. This Village is located within the Lewis Morris Patent. This map is found within Map Drawer 14 of the Montgomery County Clerk's Office and is cataloged as Montgomery County Clerk's Office Map #MCCO_003326.

A 14,000 acre tract of land granted to Major Cadwallader Colden and David Colden located to the south & west of Lake Caneaderago. This is a rough draft sketch prepared by William Cockburn. It demonstrates the approximate locations of the homes of Henry Herkimer, [Major] ____ Edmiston, [John] Tuncliff, & Hermanus House. This map is found within Box 4 Folder 41 of the Cockburn Family Papers in Manuscript Collection #SC7004 of the New York State Library. William Cockburn's final draft of plan to divide the Cadwallader & David Colden Tract of the larger George Croghan Patent is significant for its showing of the approximate 1774 location of a building belonging to Colonel ____ Cuyler and the homes of ____ Edmiston, ____ Smith, [Prisofer?] Carr, D[avid] Schuyler, Heny [Henry] Herkiman [Herkimer], Hn [Harmanus] House, & Andw [Andrew] Hoghland. This map is also found in Box 4 Folder 41 of the Cockburn Family Papers in Manuscript Collection #SC7004 of the New York State Library. This map is in fair condition.

The John, Margaret, and Edward Collins or Caughnawaga Patent. This patent was the site of the home of Douw Fonda and the Caughnawaga Church and now encompasses the Village of Fonda, New York. This map is from Box 6 Folder 134 of the Papers of Samuel Ludlow Frey in Manuscript Collection #SC9829 in the New York State Library's Special Collections. The map is in good condition.

The William Corry Patent. This map is found with in the maps of the Commisioners of Forfeitures Collection in New York State Archives Collection #AO273 - Portfolio E Map #878. This map is in very good condition.

The patents of William Cosby, Timothy Bagley, and Charles Williams located in southern Montgomery County, New York. It is bordered on the north by the Lewis Morris Patent & the Peter Winne Patent; on the south by the Frederick Young Patent and the William Corry Patent; on the west it is bordered by the Frederick Morris Patent; and on the east by the Peter DuBoyce Patent. The map is in very good condition and is located in the New York State Secretary of State's Deeds Book 18:509 (New York State Archives Collection AO453).

N.W. parts of New York, no. 156. A circa 1755 map with the words The Countery of the five Nations embossed upom it demonstrating the Settlements of the Mohawk Valley, Central New York (from roughly the City of Rochester eastward), and the Upper Hudson Valley. It also demonstrates the then in existence Indian Trails and Kings Roads. The original map is found in the Map Collections of the United States' Library of Congress in Washington, D.C. and is cataloged as Map No. 156, Digital ID: g3800 ar108100 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3800.ar108100.

A A circa 1789 map of the lands on the east side of Tieonnonderoga [the Schoharie Creek near Fort Hunter] found in "Endorsed Land Papers of the State of New York", New York State Archives Mss Collection #AO272-78, Volume 46, page 129. This map is in good condition.

A December 28, 1789 map showing the bounds of the farms of Frederick Cluet, Vincent Scott Quackenbos, William Hall, Saml Weeks, Isaac Collier, Nichl Collier, Nichs Van Slyck, Harmanus Mabie, Gerrit C. Newkirk, & Gideon Marlett. This map is found in the New York Secretary of State's Endorsed Land Papers Volume 48, page 60. All of these men, with the exception of Frederick Cluet served in the Mohawk District Regiment of Tryon County Militia throughout the Revolution. Cluet, served throughout the Revolutionary War in Captain Jesse Van Slyck's Company of the Schenectady District Regiment of Albany County Militia.

A composite of the circa 1789 map of some of the patents at the mouth of the Schoharie Creek near Fort Hunter [Tieonnonderago], which includes the patents of John Peterse Mebee, John Wemp, and others found in "Endorsed Land Papers of the State of New York", New York State Archives Mss Collection #AO272-78, Volume 47, page 19. This map is in good condition, but was divided into two halves when bound into a volume. A small amount of the map's data was lost in the crease of the binding when removed from the original binding by conservators. A special thanks goes to Marianne Miles of Baldswinville, New York for realigning the two segments.

A November 11, 1790 map of vacant lands forfeited to the State of New York by the Mohawk Indians bordering the norther portion of the Charles Williams or Warrensbush Patent near Fort Hunter drawn by Simeon DeWitt. The vacant tracts shown were patented to John T. Visscer, Jacob Snook, and Jesse Bostwick. This map is found in the New York Secretary of State's Endorsed Land Papers Volume 49, page 146.

A circa 1825 map of the Village of Fort Plain. This map was traced from an original map found within the Fort Plain Museum that is in extremely poor condition even though it is housed within a glass picture frame. A note found on the original map refers to it as an exhibit in a lawsuit, but the original case has yet to be identified. It would appear from this map that the Village of the time was confined to Lowland Lot 6 & 7 and Home Lots 6 & 7 and their corresponding portions of Expense Lot B of the Bleecker Family’s Otsquago Patent. The map is found within Map Drawer 14 of the Montgomery County Clerk's Office and is cataloged as Montgomery County Clerk's Office Map #MCCO_002443.

A circa 1852 map of the Village of Fort Plain. The only known originals of this map exist in the Newberry Library of Chicago, Illinois and the Fort Plain, New York Museum. The map is significant in the fact that it demonstrates a "Mount Aubun Cemetery" at the northwestern edge of the then village. This cemetery now makes up Sections A & B of the Fort Plain Cemtery Association's Cemetery, its southern edge lying on what is now Clyde Street.

Fort Plank's Block House. A sketch of the Fort Plank Block House taken from William Leete Stone, Senior's Life of Joseph Brant, Volume One, Appendix One.

The Conradt Frank Patent. See the Rudolph Staley Patent, Third Tract.

A map of Glen's Purchase taken from Volume 13 of New York State Letters Patent, New York State Archives Collection #12943-78. This patent is also commonly referred to in Colonial Records as "Reimenschnider's Bush". The eastern portion of this patent lies within the Town of Herkimer; the south central and eastern portions lie within the Town of Little Falls; and, the northern portion within lies within the Town of Fairfield. A later map of this patent showing the names of the original patentees and the acreages of the great lots is found amongst "The Maps of the Surveyor General of the State of New York" in the New York State and is catalogued as Collection #AO273 Map #174. The original is encapsulated within a Mylar sleeve and is good condition despite a discoloring which occurred on the left hand side due to its being wrapped around a wooden dowel for storage.

The James Alexander or Abraham Gouvernor Patent. The patent is bordered on the south by the Mohawk River; on the north by the Kingsborough Patent (easterly portion), and the Stone Arabia Patent (westerly portion); on the east by the Butlersbury Patent (northerly portion), and the Edward Collins Patent (southerly portion); and on the west by the Abraham DePeyster/Harmanus Van Slyck Patent. This map is found in the Samuel Ludlow Frey Papers of the New York State Library Manuscript Collection #SC9829, Box 6, Folder 140. The map is in good condition.

A map of the John Groesbeck Patent, which is more commonly referred to as "The Springfield Patent" or "Waggoner's Tract". This map is found within "The Maps of the Commissioners of Forfeitures" in the New York State Archives in Albany, New York Collection #AO273, Portfolio E - Map #866. This map is significant in its showing of the "Landing Place" on Lake Otsego where General James Clinton landed his boats for the invasion of the "Indian Territories", "the Road from Cramer's to the Lake" and other nearby roads. The Patent is now located in the Town of Springfield in Otsego County. A digital scan of this map is also available here.

The Peter Hansclever Patent of February 28, 1769. This patent map is found in the New York State Surveyor General's Map Collection housed in the New York State Archives in Albany. It is catalogued as Collection #A4011 - Map #35. This 18,000 acre tract of land is bordered on its northern and eastern edges by the West Canada Creek; on the south by Cosby's Manor and the Alexander Colden Patent; and, on the west by the William Walton Patent. The map is in very good condition and encapsulated in mylar, which produces the sheen showing in this reproduction. The map was prepared after the Revolutionary War and shows the home sites, with the names of many its settlers.

Harpersfield Patent. This map is located within Box 7 Folder 18 of the Garrit Y[ates] Lansing Papers [Manuscript Collection #SC13324] in the Special Collections of the New York State Library in Albany. The map is broken into four segments which have been rejoined by tape; otherwise, the map is in fairly good condition. There is a corresponding collection of affidavits sworn out by William Lamb circa 1805 with details on what lots were occupied during the American Revolution and by whom.

An undated map of the Land Patents of [from west to east] John Haskole, Abraham Wendell, John Spratt, Lewis Morris, Francis Harrison, & John Schuyler, each containing 2000 acres. These six patents were later adjoined and today are collectively referred to as the Francis Harrison Patent. N.B. however, that the easternmost 2000 acre tract is historically referred to as the John Schuyler Patent. The bounds of the Abraham DePeyster/Harmanus Van Slyck Patent are also shown. The map identifies the north-westernmost point of the Abraham Van Horne Patent as being opposite the Castle of Tarijohres which is marked with a triangle or Delta sign at the lower end of three small islands in the Mohawk River. This map of this patent is found within Map Drawer 14 of the Montgomery County Clerk's Office and is cataloged as Montgomery County Clerk's Office Map #MCCO_003386.

The Francis Harrison Patent. This map is found within "The Maps of the Commissioners of Forfeitures" in the New York State Archives in Albany, New York Collection #AO273, Portfolio E - Map #865. The map includes Klock's Purchase and is in poor condition. The patent was bordered on the north & east by Klock's Purchase; on the south by the Harmanus Van Slyck/Abraham DePeyster Patent; on the west by the Van Dreisen Patent. The eastern portion of this patent lies within the Town of Palatine, while the western portion of the patent lies within the Town of Saint Johnsville. The western lots of this patent were the site of the "running battle" which is now known as the Battle of Klock's Field &/or Failing's Orchard. It is also the site of "Fort Klock", the fortified homestead of Johannes Klock, The Nellis Tavern, and the Village of Saint Johnsville. N.B. The lower or southern end of patent was also known as the John Schuyler Patent. This lower portion is believed to have been divided into four lots, but to date, no contemporary map can be found to show the exact angles of its lot lines [KDJ].

A map showing the lots of the James Henderson Patent. This patent is also known as the Andrustown Patent or Petrie's Purchase. The Theobald Young Patent abuts it on the south. This map is found amongst "The Maps of the Surveyor General of the State of New York" in the New York State and is catalogued as Collection #AO273 Map #170. A second map of this patent is found within Map Drawer 14 of the Montgomery County Clerk's Office and is cataloged as Montgomery County Clerk's Office Map #MCCO_003307. Though it seems unlikely, the Revolutionary War era road leading from the patent to the Mohawk River ended at or near Fort Plank, thus making attacks on it more dangerous to the Canajoharie Settlements than those on the German Flatts.

A map showing the lots of the Jerseyfield Patent. This patent lies to the north of Sir William Johnson's Royal Grant and was the site of the "Battle of Butler's Ford" in which Captain Walter Butler was dispatched after leaving the Samuel Mount Farm. This map is #78 in the New York State Surveyor General's Map Collection in the New York State Archives' Collection #AO273.

A 1784 map of the Village of Johnstown, New York. This map is #43 in the New York State Comptroller's Office Map Collection in the New York State Archives' Collection #B1610.

The Kast's Family's Patent of June 22, 1724. A map of the August 27, 1768 of the 1379 acres of land granted by Letters Patent to Anna Kast, wife of Johan Jurgh Kast, Lodewick, Sarah, Dorothy, Margaret, Elisabeth, Mary, and Anna Mary children of the said Johan Jurgh Kast and to Gertruy Kast wife of Johan Jurgh Kast Junr Sarah and Dorothy children of the said Johan Jurgh Kast Junr. The patent begins at a Certain Hill there about sixty chains below a brook there Called by the Indians Roxcetoth. The maps bears the autograph signatures of Hendrick Frey, Yan Van Buren, Peter Yates, and Surveyor Chrisr Yates. This is Map #460 of the New York State Secretary of State’s Collection in the Bureau of Land Management on the 26th Floor of the Corning Tower in the Empire State Plaza in Albany, New York. A portion of the modern Village of Herkimer lies within the patent.

The Kingsborough & Mayfield Patent. This map is found within "The Maps of the Commissioners of Forfeitures" in the New York State Archives in Albany, New York Collection #AO273, Portfolio E - Map #859. This map is in very poor condition and the bright ribbon and blotch seen on the left hand side of this map are caused by a special mylar sleeve which protects the map from further damage. By saving this map to your computer and using a high quality graphics viewer, you will be able to clearly see the details within the mylar effect [KDJ]. A second undated map of the Kingsborough Patent displaying many names and having many roads penciled in is available here. This map is Manuscript Number XM20211 of the New York State Library's Special Collections Division, it is in a very poor condition, but is encapsulated in mylar.

Klock's Purchase. This map is found within "The Maps of the Commissioners of Forfeitures" in the New York State Archives in Albany, New York Collection #AO273, Portfolio E - Map #865. The map includes the Francis Harrison Patent and is in poor condition. The patent was bordered on the west by Harrison's Patent; on the south by the Harmanus Van Slyck/Abraham DePeyster Patent; on the west by the Petrus Van Dreisen Patent. The map is in very poor condition. A freestanding map of the Klock–Nellis Patent is displayed here. It is map #78 of Collection AO4011 (State Hall Maps) in the New York State Archives. The map is in poor condition and is preserved within a mylar sheath.

The Jacob Lansing Patent. This map is found within the Commissioners of Forfeitures' Map Collection (Collection #AO273) located in the New York State Archives in Albany, New York. The patent was bordered on the north & northeasterly most edge by the Windecker Patent; westerly by the Fifth Allotment of the Abraham Van Horne Patent & the Colden-Rightmeyer Patent; on the south by the Waggoner/Weiser Patent and in the extreme southwestern corner by the Otsquago Creek; on the extreme easterly edge by the Waggoner/Weiser Patent. The western portion of this patent lies within Herkimer County. The map is in very good condition.

This map of the Johannis Lawyer Patent is found in the Johannis Lawyer Papers (Mss #SC16480) of the New York State Library in Albany, New York. The patent is bordered on the north, the northeast, and the west by the Frederick Young Patent. On the east it is bordered by the William Correy Patent. On the south it is bordered by the New Durloch Patent. The soutwestern portion portion of the patent adjoins the Stephen Skinner Patent.

A map of the John Lindsey or Cherry Valley Patent drawn by Jno R Bleeker of Lots I Run out in 1740 1741. The map is in good condition and is found the New York State Archives' Collection A4011-78 Folder 10 and is Item 10. The map demonstrates an unnumbered lot approximately twice the width of Lots 63 on the west and Lot 64 on the east; which is labeled Jo Lindsay, and demostrates two buildings within it. A later map drawn in 1844 by David Gilbert demonstrates the same lot and notes it to be a lot of 200 acres belonging to John Lindsey while the adjoining Lots 62 & 64 contain only 102.9 acres each. The original of Gilbert's Map is housed in the Special Collections of the New York State Historical Association in Cooperstown, New York. It is in very poor condition and is fragmented into four sections, it was also damaged by an early attempt to repair it with "scotch tape" prior to its arrival in the NYSHA Archives.

Philip Livingston Patent. This map, drawn in 1767 by Surveyor William Cockburn, is found within the New York State Library in Albany, New York (Collection #XM19890). This patent was bordered on the south and south-west by the John Lindsey or Cherry Valley Patent; on the south-east by the Frederick Young Patent; & in the north by the Otsquago Creek and the Conrad Countryman Patent; and, on the west by the John McNeile Patent. Another map of the Philip Livingston and Frederick Young Patents is found within the "Maps of the Commissioners of Forfeitures" in the New York State Archives in Albany, New York, Collection #AO273, Portfolio E. The Cockburn is map is in very good condition, as is the Commissioner of Forfeitures Map.

A map of The Abraham Lott Patent. See the "Sarah Magin Patent".

A map of The Sarah Magin Patent taken from a map found within "The Goldsbrow Banyar Papers," SC10723 Box 6 Folder 14, of the New York State Library's Manuscripts Collection in Albany, New York. This map is in very good condition. A found within the "The Maps of the Commissioners of Forfeitures" in the New York State Archives in Albany, New York (Collection #AO273, Portfolio E - Map #865) is available here. The Commissioners of Forfeitures Map is in poor condition and it should be noted that that this map is paired as Map 7 of Collection #AO273 with a map of the Francis Harrison Patent and Klock's Purchase.

The Mayfield Patent. This map is found within "The Maps of the Commissioners of Forfeitures" in the New York State Archives in Albany, New York Collection #AO273, Portfolio E - Map #859.

The John McNiel Patent of 1769. This map was found in Volume 36, page 514 of the New York State Archives Collection #AO453-79. The map is in very good condition. The map is significant in the fact that it demonstrates various Indian Paths, as well as an Indian Orchard & an Indian Fishing Place on the eastern shore of Lake Caneaderago. The home site of a Herkemyer Family is also shown. Finally there are found with-on the maps roads leading to Colonel Croghan's, Cherry Valley, & the German Flatts.

Presented here is A Map of Lands on the South-side of the Mohawk River between Canajoharie & the German Flatts for Philip Livingston 1771. This map is found in Box Folder 2 of the Cockburn Family Papers in the New York State Library (Manuscript Collection #SC7004). The map is interesting as it proves Sir William Johnson's statement about Livingston "illegal moonlight survey" was began at the mouth of the Onandago Creek" in 1731 (The Papers of Sir William Johnson, 4:143). It also explains the panic expressed by the inhabitants of the German Flatts after the 1757 French and Indian Raid in which a severely wounded surviving female advised that there were Onandago Indians amongst the French marauders (Documentary History of the State of New York, 1:337). Note well, the map shows both the old Castle, on the west bank; & the Onandago Castle, on the east bank of modern day Nowadaga Creek at the site of the Indian Castle Church just west of Fort Herkimer Church on New York State Route 5S. This map also explains the "Onandago Indian's" versus a Mohawk Indian's complaint against "Old" George Klock, which is so widely used to proof that Klock inticed the Indian Castle's Indians with liqour. N.B. A 'fanfold' exists in the original document which hides the mouth of the Onandaga Creek.

An 1849 Surveyor's Map of the "new" line separating the Town of Minden from the Town of Canajoharie as specified by New York State Law. The original line began in the middle of the Ostquago Creek as it entered the Mohawk River and ran westward in the middle of the said creek to where the Otsquene Creek empties into the Otsquago Creek and from that point southerly in a straight line to the north-easternmost corner of the Springfield or John Groesbeck Patent. The movement of this line transferred the settlements of "Freysbush" and "Hessville" from the Town of Canajoharie to the Town of Minden.

A map of the great lots of the Lewis Morris Patent found within Map Drawer 14 in the cellar of the Montgomery County, New York Clerk's Office. The map is in fragile condition and is danger of being lost due to standing water and high humidity within the vault. The map was incorrectly labeled the Canajoharie Patent by the transcriber who was apparently unaware that the true Canajoharie Patent is now known as the Abraham Van Horne Patent located with in the Town of Minden in Montgomery County and the Town of Danube in Herkimer County. The creek which the patent straddles was known during the American Revolution as “Bowmans Creek” or “Schremlings Kill”. Where the current myth that “Canajoharie” translates “to the pot that washes itself’ is unknown, but was probably invented by Jeptha R. Simms. David K. Faux, a descendant of the Mohawk Nation, stated once to the author that the term more properly translates to “the pot which boils” and that the “true” Canajoharie was one of the three sacred sites of the Iroquois Confederacy.

The Oswego, Onondaga, and Mohawk River Valleys Circa 1758. Oneida County Historical Society Map FI MVA.1. Catalog Number 1964.244.

A portion of a 1768 map of the East-Central New York entitled The PROVINCES of NEW YORK and NEW JERSEY; with part of PENSILVANIA, and the Governments of TROIS RIVERES, and MONTREAL: DRAWN by CAP T HOLLAND. Engraved by THOMAS JEFFERYS, Geographer to His MAJESTY . The original map is found in the Map Collections of the United States' Library of Congress in Washington, D.C. and is cataloged as Map #ar103900.

A portion of a 1776 map of East-Central New York entitled The PROVINCES of NEW YORK and NEW JERSEY; with part of PENSILVANIA, and the Province of QUEBEC. Drawn by MAJOR HOLLAND, SURVEYOR GENERAL, of the NORTHERN DISTRICT in AMERICA. Corrected and Improved, from the Original Materials , By GOVERNR POWNALL MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT 1776 . The original map is found in the Map Collections of the United States' Library of Congress in Washington, D.C. and is cataloged as Library of Congress Map #ct00008.

A MAP OF THE PROVINCE OF NEW YORK, with Part of PENSILVANIA , AND NEW ENGLAND, From an Actual Survey by Captain Montresor , ENGINEER, 1775. Publish'd as the Act directs. June 10 th. 1775 by A. Dury, Dukes Court St Martins Lane London. [Presented] TO THE RIGHTS HONORABLE Sir Jeffery Amherst KNIGHT of the BATH, and Lieutenant General of his Majesty's Forces &c&c&c. This Map of the Province of NEW YORK , is humbly Inscribed His most obliged Humble Servant John Montresor Engineer. The original map is found in the Map Collections of the United States' Library of Congress in Washington, D.C. and is cataloged as Map #ar106600.

A MAP of The Provinces NEW-YORK and NEW-JERSEY, with a part of PENNSYLVANIA and the Province of QUEBEC. From the Topographical Observations of C. J. SAUTHIER. AUGSBURG Engraved and Published by MATTHEW ALBERT LOTTER. 1777. The original map is found in the Map Collections of the United States' Library of Congress in Washington, D.C. and is cataloged as Map #ar104801. NOTE WELL: This map is huge, 63+MB, and must be downloaded to your hard drive to view in its entirity.

A Chorographical MAP OF THE PROVINCE OF NEW - YORK IN NORTH AMERICA, Divided into Counties, Manors, and Townships; Exhibiting likewise all the private GRANTS of LAND made and located in that Province; Compiled from ACTUAL SURVEYS deposited in the PATENT OFFICE at NEW YORK, By Order of His Excellency Major General WILLIAM TRYON, By CLAUDE JOSEPH SAUTHIER Esqr LONDON: Engraved and Published by WILLIAM FADEN, (Successor to the Late Thos Jefferys Geogr to the KING to the KING) CHARING - CROSS. January 1st, 1779. This maps outlines the vast majority of the Land Patents in Tryon County, New York, the exception being several minor land grants of a small number of acres (e.g., The Johann Jost Herkimer Patent of Minden Twonship, Montgomery County which contains only 144 acres located between the Otsquago or Rutger Bleecker Patent, the Hartman Windecker Patent & the Conrad Weiser Patent). The original map is found in the Map Collections of the United States' Library of Congress in Washington, D.C. and is cataloged as Map #ar107001. Note Well: This map is huge (approximately 73 inches by 55.5 inches) and cannot be viewed in its entirity using either Firefox or Internet Explorer unless accessed from the Library of Congress' site which also allows for it to be downloaded. To better aid Tryon County researchers, Mister Johnson has broken the Tryon County section into segments which can be downloaded individually from his site as follows: Tryon County; The Canajoharie District; The German Flatts District; The Kingsland District; The Mohawk District; The Palatine District; & The Schoharie Creek Valley.

Sir William Johnson's Royal Grant. This map is found within the Maps of the New York State Surveyor General housed in the New York State Archives in Albany, New York, Collection #AO273 Map #142. A more detailed map of The Fourth Allotment of The Royal Grant is also available here. This second map is found within "The Maps of the Commissioners of Forfeitures" in the New York State Archives in Albany, New York Collection #AO273, Portfolio E - Map #867. The bulk of the Royal Grant is located within Herkimer County. The bulk of the Fourth Allotment itself lies within the Town of Manheim. In November of 2009, John Hernick, a Land Survey Examiner in the NYS Office of Land Management in Albany, relocated a Map of  [Sir William Johnson's Royal Grant] first survey by Isaac Vrooman, 1764, showing a  jag in the North line, which bears the autograph signature of Isaac Vrooman. This map was noted to be in several tattered pieces, but a graphics expert in the New York State Bureau of Land Management was able to partially reconstruct it. Plans are underway to send it to the New York State Archives for preservation. It is of particular interest as it shows the mills of John Jost Petry, the home-sites of Garret Van Slyck and [Willi]am Pickert; as well as Forts Fort Herkimer & Hendrick. The is catalogued as Map 213 of Portfolio B and was originally located in Map Case 2, Drawer 72.

A Traverse of Schohary Kill from Duanesburgh down to Kadorte pr Will Cockburn 1768 found in Box 5 Folder 36 of the Cockburn Family Papers in the New York State Library's Manuscripts Division Collection #SC7004. The map is in very good condition. It is significant for its demonstration of the approximate home sites of [from north to south] Johs Newkerk, Hermanus Mabie, Jacob Putman, Cors Putman, Johs Clyne, Frans Saltz, Philip Frederick, Peter Young, & Frans Prume. It also shows lines drawn by C Yates and J R Bleecker near the southern end of the Charles William or Warrensburgh Patent which may be the basis of a disputed portion of the patent known as Remsen's Tract.

Maps of the vacant land and patents on the east and west side of the Schoharie Kill at its mouth on the Mohawk River. The original map is divided into two seperate sheets in the New York State Archives: Those on the east side of the mouth of the Schoharie Kill and those on the west side on the east side of the mouth of the Schoharie Kill. A composite of the two sheets is available here to better orient the user. The originals are in good condition and are found in New York State Archives' New York State Endorsed Land Papers, Volume 47, Item 19.

The Rudolph Staley Patent. This map is found in "The Maps of the New York State Surveyor" in the New York State Archives in Albany, New York Collection #AO273. This tract of land partially borders the historic "Burnetsfield Patent". The Third Tract of the Staley Patent is also known as the Frank Patent and appears as such in " The Maps of the New York State Commissioners of Forfeitures" in the New York State Archives in Albany, New York Collection #AO273, Portfolio E - Map #873. A more definitive photo of the inscription upon the Commissioner of Forfeiture's Map can be found here.

A map of the Christian Garlock - Andreas Fink Patent, better known as the Stone Arabia Patent, granted October, 19, 1723, copied by George Loucks on Augt 19th, 1823, who stated above his signature on the map: I copied this Map from one on parchment & another on paper, much worn out – The former is in possession of Christian Finck, & the latter in [the] possession of George Loucks –. This said paper map was found in MAP Drawer 14 of the Montgomery County Clerk's Office in Fonda, New York and is cataloged as Montgomery County Clerk's Map #003373. The map is significant as it contains a legend which explains the odd numbering pattern seen upon the map & the names of many of the lot owners are noted within their tracts of land. A coinciding map of the First Allotment of this patent drawn by George Loucks on July 31, 1823 with the reverse of this map showing the names of the patentees of the First Division and the conditions which they were to meet to retain their respective lotts is found in Drawer 14 and is cataloged as Montgomery County Clerk's Map #MCCO_003373. An undated velum map of the Stone Arabia Patent, drawn by an unknown cartographer is also found in the said Drawer 14, however, inscribed in one of the lots is the name of John J Shults. Various members of the Shults Family are known to have occupied land(s) in the said Stone Arabia Patent in the early 19th Century.

The Plan of the Western Country about 120 Miles Extent Each Way. This map is of interest due to its depicition of Fort Petersborough just to the east of the Little Falls of the Mohawk on the nothern-side. This map is not drawn to scale and is very poorly produced. It is also in very poor condition. It is found in the New York State Manuscripts Collection as Manuscript #12375.

A map demonstrating the three lots of land granted to Anna Marragrieta Timmerman of Tyenindoke out of pure love and affection with the consent of the entire Castle of Kannajoharie, both Indian men and women on March 12th, 1733/4. It is described as a tract commencing at a kill called Athedaghque, and a farm on the south side of the said kill, and thence upwards along the river to a tree marked with the bear, wolf and turtle, thence northwards from the river into the woods about three English miles, and then eastward, keeping the same distance from the river, to another marked tree, and thence toward the river to the east and of the farm which formed the point of beginning. This tract later became a portion of the Snell-Zimmerman Patent of 1752. The original map was found amongst the Lawrence Zimmerman Papers which have been transcribed and published by the Timmerman-Zimmerman-Snell Family Reunion.

A circa 1769 map of the patents on the east side of the Lower Unadilla River found within the Offices of the New York State Bureau of Land Management located on the 26th Floor of the Corning Tower in the Empire State Plaza of Albany, New York. This map is of particular interest as it shows the division of the "Clotwarthy Upton, Doctor Peter Middleton, & Staats Long Morris Patents" into individual lots. The map is catalogued as Map #201 within Portfolio H. The map is in several large segments and has been digitally reunited by experts in the aforesaid office. The original is in very poor condition and plans are underway to transfer it to the care of the New York State Archives for storage.

The Petrus Van Dreisen Patent. This map is found within "The Maps of the Commissioners of Forfeitures" in the New York State Archives in Albany, New York Collection #AO273, Portfolio E - Map #865. It is bordered on the west by the John Van Driesen Patent and the John Brachan Patent. It is bordered on the north by Klock's Purchase. It is bordered on the south by the Mohawk River, and on the east by the Francis Harrison Patent. Revolutionary Records suggest that Fort House was located in the south-western portion of this patent.

The Abraham Van Horne Patent. This 1764 Map of the Van Horne was found in the Maps of the New York Secretary of State, Map #532, in the New York State Office of Land Management in the Corning Office Building of the Empire State Plaza. The map was drawn on an animal hides and is in excellent condition. This map is significant for showing the locations of the homesteads of some 30 occupants of the patent. Located in the upper lefthand corner of the easternmost section of the map is a legend which identifies each resident family with a number corresponding to the number representing their home. Colonial Records and surveys by William Cockburn clearly indicate that this patent was in Colonial Times known as the Canajoharie Patent.

The Hermanus Van Slyck/Abraham DePeyster Patent. This Map of the Hermanus Van Slyck-Abraham Depeyster Patent is found within "The Maps of the Commissioners of Forfeitures" in the New York State Archives in Albany, New York Collection #AO273, Portfolio E - Map #872. This map is significant for showing the locations of 32 homesteads of some 32 occupants of the patent. Located at the bottom of the East-Central portion and the bottom of the Easternmost section of the map is a legend which identifies each resident family with a number corresponding to the number representing their home. The patent is bordered south by the Mohawk River; easterly by the James Alexander or Abraham Gouvernor Patent; northerly by the Francis Harrison & Christian Garlock or Stone Arabia Patent. The map is in very good condition.

A map showing the correct division lines of the Harmanus Van Slyck/Abraham DePeyster Patent, the John Schuyler Patent, the Christian Garlock or Stone Arabia Patent, and the James Alexander Patent drawn on July 10, 1823 by Henry Loucks. Loucks notes that court a court decision cited as 2 Carnes Rep. 210 determined that old Isaac Vrooman’s line of the northern border of the Van Slyck Patent was the most correct. The map was apparently drawn in response to a dispute between Peter Ale and the proprietors of the Van Slyck Patent in regards to where exactly the north-westernmost corner of the Van Slyck and John Schuyler Patents struck the Mohawk River. The correct north-westernmost was noted in the original Indian Deed for the Van Slyck Patent to be opposite the Castle of Tarighoris. The map demonstrates the approximate home sites of Adam Snell, ____ Kogh, John Wafle, and Peter Cock. It also shows Lot 49 of the Stone Arabia Patent and a lot belonging to Philip & Robert Marten. This map is found within Map Drawer 14 of the Montgomery County Clerk's Office and is cataloged as Montgomery County Clerk's Office Map #MCCO_003382.

Isaac Vrooman's 1779 Map of Upstate New York. A map of the County of Albany, Tryon, and part of Charlotte made at the request of his Excellency George Washington Esqr General and Commander in Chief of all the land and naval forces of [the] thirteen United States of America. Protracted and laid down from actual surveys which are chiefle preformed by me Isaac Vrooman June 7th Anno 1779. Written on this map is the following explanation: Explanation In the above Map all the Churches are Marked with a Cross on the Steeple The most principle Gentleman's Houses are put in [the] Form of Houses and many others along River Roads are marked with a nought There 0 the number of Families living within the lines of this Map are about eight thousand. The Roads are marked with dotted lines. The out lines of the County of Albany are down with black and Yellow Lines. The South and East Bounds of Tryon County are black and Blue Lines, and the North & West Bounds thereof extends as far as the uttermost extent of New York State Charlotte County is bounded South on the North Bounds of the County of the County of Albany Western part of the East Bounds of the County of Tryon East on the Bounds of Cumberland and extends as far North as the forty fifth Degree of North Lattitude All Rivers and Creeks of any notice are all laid down from Actual Survey exception a few, which are placed in their True Situation and their General Course laid down Rivers Creeks and Churches are laid Down by a larger Scale but Mountains by the Same Scale of the Map. A closeup of the northern portion of the Canajoharie District is available here. NOTE WELL: No evidence of either a Fort Plain or a Fort Rensselaer appears on this map. Fort Plank is the only fortress represented as being within this part of the district as of June 7th, 1779; however one must also note the differences in the handwriting marking Fort Plank and the handwriting of the cartographer, Isaac Vrooman and the person who has labeled many areas on the map. Vrooman's Map is critical to understanding various events in Upstate New York's History. The map is found in the New York Historical Society Map Collection as Map Number 7562-A. A photographic negative of the original map (20" X 24") is catalogued as Map Number 7562-B.

Waggoner's Patent. A map of Waggoner's Patent in the Town of Minden taken from the Rutger Bleeker Papers in the New York State Library of Albany, New York Mss #SC10816-1.

Edward Collins January 2, 1737/8 Map of the Charles Williams Patent. This patent was later purchased by Sir Peter Warren and renamed Warrensburgh. This map was found in the Montgomery County Clerk's Office and is cataloged as map #MCCO_003390 and is found within Map Drawer 14. The map is in relatively good condition, aside from being silked and being mounted and cardboard stock. A second map of the Charles Williams or Warrensburgh Patent on velum and is in very good condition despite the fading of the ink upon it. This second map has a legend upon it explaining the circumstances of a number of the lots and the house locations of many of the patent's settlers are demonstrated in red. This map is found in Map Drawer 14 of the Montgomery County Clerk's Office and is cataloged as Montgomery County Clerk's Office Map #MCCO_003345.

A calculated map of the Hartman Windecker Patent drawn by Herbert Schrader of Utica, New York in his studies of the Pickard and Countryman Familes. It appears here with the express verbal permission of Mr. Schrader as obtained by telephone on August 30, 2010.

Lieutenant Karl Wintersmith's Map of the Northern War District. Wintersmith served as an engineer in Lieutenant Colonel Friederick Baum's Regiment of Brunswick Grenadiers and is noted to have sailed for North America in 1776. The said rolls, containing the names of all of the men from Lower Saxony men serving overseas, note that the lieutenant was captured in the Battle of Bennington, New York and that he deserted the service while a prisoner-of-war in Staunton, Virginia. His map is assumed to have been drawn between 1776, the date that Wintersmith is mustered out to North America and August 16, 1777 when he was captured by Rebel forces. One should note when viewing this map that a "circled X" demonstrates the site of an existing mill. As the map was too wide to effectively photograph as one unit, it is presented here in four overlapping sections running from west to east: Oswego eastward through Lake Oneida; from Lake Oneida eastward past the West Canada Creek; eastward from just west of the West Canada Creek to just east of the Schoharie Creek & eastward from just westward of the Schoharie Creek to just east of the Hudson River. The bibliographic reference to his map is: The General Frederick Von Riedesel Papers, Staatsarchiv #237N115, folio 11-12, Niedersaechsisches Staatsarchiv Wolfenbuettel, Germany.

The Frederick Young Patent. This map, drawn in 1767 by Surveyor William Cockburn, is found within the New York State Library in Albany, New York (Collection #XM19890). This patent is bounded northly by the William Dick, Jno Lyne, Frederick Morris, & William Cosby Patents (from west to east) Philip Livingston Patent. A second map of the Philip Livingston and Frederick Young Patents is found within the "Maps of the Commissioners of Forfeitures" in the New York State Archives in Albany, New York, Collection #AO273, Portfolio E. The Cockburn Maps are in very good condition, as is the Commissioner of Forfeitures Map.The southern portion of this patent lies within Schoharie County & is bounded southerly by the Johannis Lawyer and George Croghan Patents; easterly by the William Corry & Timothy Bagley Patents; westerly by the Phillip Livingston, Alexander Colden and John Lindsey [Cherry Valley] Patents.

The Theobald Young Patent. This map is located on Page 248 of Volume 7 of New York State Archives Collection #AO453-79. A map showing the relationship of the Theobald Young Patent to surrounding patents was also drawn by Samuel Ludlow Frey and found within his personal papers in the New York State Library’s Samuel Ludlow Frey Collection.

"The Bloodied Mohawk" | "In Defense of the Facts: An Ongoing Search For Fort Plank"
Previously Unpublished Colonial Mohawk Valley Documents
Contact the Author | Return to Home

Updated 05 Mar 2014