THE BLOODIED MOHAWK
RECENT DISCOVERIES IN MOHAWK VALLEY HISTORY
Despite the publication of the "Bloodied Mohawk" in the year 2000", the author has continued a unrelenting search for documents which provide additional knowledge of the day to day lives those families who either lived in or served within the Mohawk Valley during the Revolutionary War Era [pre-1784]. This "New Data" is presented here for your perusal. As with the bulk of the records cited within the bibliography of the "Bloodied Mohawk", most of these documents are within the "Public Domain". However, it must be noted that many are not, and thus before replication of data from this site, one should contact the author for an opinion on their status. It should also be noted that the interperatation and abstracts of any such data from within them is protected by applicable United States Copyright Laws. Thus the author requests that, strictly out of courtesy, he be notified of any such usage in a short e-mail with a brief description of the user's interest in the said record(s).
Sincerely, Your Most Humble Servant,
Fort Plank Historian
An abstract of the Militia Laws of New York as Colony & State between 1775 - 1783. These notes were compiled from the published laws of the State and Colony of New York.
A 1777 Payroll Calculator developed to assist Paymasters in figuring the pay due to various members of the Rebel Army taken from the Herkimer Family Portfolio (The New York State Library Manuscript Collection Mss #11965 Folder 1).
A February 20, 1782 List of Tryon County men believed to be held by the British in Canada as prisoners-of war. The list was authored by Major Andrew Finck Junior, a Commissioner of Conspiracies. The original list is found in the Revolutionary War Rolls of National Archives Collections M247, First Pennsylvania Regiment Troops, and contains the names of approximately 212 Tryon County men. The names appearing here in italics are spelled as found on the roll with the more common surname spelling and notes added by this author appearing in a normal, non-italicized, Times Roman font.
A collection of eyewitness' statements on the killing of Captain Walter Butler on the West Canada Creek following the Battle of Johnstown, taken from Colonial Era documents and Revolutionary War Pension Applications.
Ebeneezer Cox's Comments on the construction of a new water powered mill taken from the Herkimer Family Portfolio (The New York State Library Manuscript Collection Mss #11965 Folder 25).
An essay on the history of the controversy over the ownership of the Canajoharie Patent addressing the roles of George Klock and Sir William Johnson in the conflict with the Canajoharies Indians over the lands which included their Castles.
Notes on the identity and location of Fort McKeen gathered by Revolutionary War Pension Applications. Of particular interest is the verbatim statement of Edward Evans concerning this structure. Evans suggests that after "Fort Plank" was renamed "Fort Plain", it was renamed "Fort McKeen" by Lieutenant Colonel Marinus Willett circa October of 1782, only to be again be renamed "Fort Rensselaer", by General Orders from Lord Sterling who ordered all of the Military posts in the Canajoharie District to be addressed in all official governmental business to be called Fort Rensselaer.
A timeline showing demostrating the connection between Fort Plank/Plain and its younger sister fort, Fort Rensselaer after the August 2, 1780 Fort Plank Massacre. To avoid an accusation of bias, the author has carefully extracted complete paragraghs from the original source documents and has included the exact bibliographic reference to each.
A Calendar of the Military Papers of Peter Gansevoort, Senior prepared for the personal perusal of the Fort Plank Historian from galley proofs housed within the New York State Archives in Albany, New York. The original nine volume set is housed with the Tilden-Lenox Foundation of the New York Public Library in New York, New York.
Daniel Claus' Report on the October 7th, 1779 on the Kings Land District found in the Claus Family Papers in the Canadian National Archives, Records Group MG19, F1, Volume 25, pages 136-137.
An essay written by Fort Plank Historian, Ken D. Johnson identifying the proper relationships of the first two generations of the Klock Family in the Palatine District of Albany County, New York.
On August 10, 1782, Jacob C. Klock, Jacob J. Klock, and Jacob House surrendered themselves to Rebel authorities. As a result, depositions were taken from each and are presented here verbatim in their entirety.
Transcripts of Military Correspondence generated by Colonel William Malcom while commanding the Northern War Department, including Tryon County, in the summer & of 1780. The original letters are found within The New-York Historical Society Collections in New York, New York; and, within the Public Papers of Governor George Clinton Papers (6:156, 6:285, and 8:153).
A document concerning the plight of a few of Tryon County's Loyalist Families from the Christopher Yates Papers housed in the Special Collections of the Bird Library of Syracuse University dated Isle Aux Noix March 17th 1780 entitled a Return of Men Women and Children Distinguishing their Age & Sex which came by the Flag with C Yates.
Documents Relating to the Battle of Oriskany and the Siege of Fort Stanwix. Second Edition & an update from August of 2012, compiled by Mr. Joseph S. Robertaccio of Utica, New York and presented here at his request. This is an excellent compendium of documents relating to these two historical events. A supplemental to Mister Robertaccio work is also available. These should be of great value to anyone studying the Battle or the Siege. A memorial to the men whose bodies were not returned home can be found on www.findagrave.com.
A collection of eyewitness' statements on the Battle of Oriskany fought on August 6, 1777, taken from Revolutionary War Pension Applications by Fort Plank Historian Ken D. Johnson, including a personal memorandum generated by Major Jellis [son of Douw] Fonda of Caughnawaga as to the Indians killed in the battle found in a Cattle Book found in the Fonda Family Papers in the New York State Library Manuscript Collection #SC7026 Box 1 Folder 9. Many of these accounts are not yet listed in the Documents Relating to the Battle of Oriskany and the Siege of Fort Stanwix listed above.
Recently a journal kept by First Lieutenant Philipp Jakob Hildebrandt of the Vacant Company of the Hessen-Hanau Jägers was obtained by the Staatsarchiv Darmstadt: 059 Rhode-Fenner Nr.71 [Germany] and transcribed & published in its entirety in its native German. It has been translated to English, but has yet to be published in that format. The portion here covers August 1, 1777 through August 27, 1777. It is an eyewitness account of the Siege of Fort Stanwix and is very rich in detail.
A list of persons banished from living within the State of New York on October 22, 1779 found within the DePeyster-Delane Papers (Manuscript Collection #10919, Folder 2 [Item 2]) in the New York State Library in Albany, New York.
An essay written by Fort Plank Historian Ken D. Johnson questioning the identities of Fort Plank Defenders: John Plank, John Plants, & John Plane of Captain Johan Jost House's Company of the Canajoharie District Regiment of Tryon County Militia. The essay also presents a hypothesis as to how Fort Plank became known as Fort Plain in the late summer of 1780.
The Quit-Rent Relief Acts of 1786 & 1787 from the published Laws of the State of New York. An article explaining the importance of these acts can be found here. The earliest known Certificate of Quit Rent Remission. The certificate is found in Collection A1228 of the New York state Archives and is in an extremely fragile condition. The document displays the autograph letter signatures of Judge Jelles Fonda of Montgomery County Court as well as those of the owners of the Conrad Countryman Patent.
A History of the Reformed German Church at Canajoharie, the mother congregation of the modern Dutch Reformed Church of Fort Plain, prepared by Fort Plank Historian Ken D. Johnson. An abstract of the ownership of the land upon which the Church stood prepared by Ken D. Johnson is also available here.
Second Lieutenant Benjamin Slack's Report on The Navigation of the river St Lawrence from Montreal to Oswegatchia distant about fifty Leagues, & from thence up the same river thirty leagues to lake Ontario, then over the East end of that lake twenty five leagues to Oswego dated April 9, 1777. The original of this report is found in Series 2, Lot 614 of the [Papers of the] Commissioner of Indian Affairs in Canadian National Archives Collection MG 19, F35. Special thanks is due to Gavin K. Watt of King City, Ontario, Canada for assisting the author in obtaining a copy of this report.
Alexander Thompson's "Journal of a Trip from the American Garrison . . . to Oswago . . . 1783". This journal is located in the Library of the Society of Cincinnati in Washington, D.C. and is provided to the author through their generosity.
The Personal Journal of Mister Lawrence Tremper was found in the collections of the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C. (Shelf #21,849) and microfilmed upon the request of the Fort Plank Historian. It is transcribed verbatim with a few notations added in [brackets] to warn the reader of changes. It should also be noted that there is no bolded text or footnotes within the journal. The endnotes and bolded text have been added to clue the reader into the presence of a person of interest. The footnotes contain the full names of those otherwise denoted only by their initials. Mister Tremper died in Stanton Township, Augusta County, Virginia sometime after 1818. He was first appointed an ensign in Lieutenant Colonel Marinus Willett's Regiment on July 24, 1782 and reappointed on March 21, 1783. The journal contains the names of many of his fellow officers, acquaintances, & "girlfriends", and is remarkable for its details on the life of a young man on the then western frontier. Verbatim transcipts of selected portions of the loose papers found within this manuscript collection, denoted by italicized text and select abstracts from can also be viewed here.
Lieutenant Colonel Marinus Willett’s personal draft correspondence on his 1783 Expedition against Fort Ontario. These letters are in extremely poor condition and were digitalized in 2009 at the request of Fort Plank Historian Ken D. Johnson. Many of these draft letters appear in their edited form in the George Washington Papers of the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C. They make up the bulk of Folder One Box One of the Willett Family Papers (Manuscript Collection #SC16670) in the New York State Library Manuscripts Division. A May 8, 1779 sketch of The Works at Oswego drawn by Captain Dieterick Brehm is found in the Sir Frederick Haldimand Papers (Add Mss 21760:209)in the British Library of London, England is here to give the reader an aspect of the fortress Willett was to attack. Note well: The fortress represented is Fort Ontario which lies directly across the Oswego River from the westernmost point of Colonial Tryon County.
A collection of eyewitness' statements concerning the death of Captain Solomon Woodworth on the West Canada Creek in September of 1781, taken from Colonial Era documents and Revolutionary War Pension Applications.